Thursday, October 13, 2011

Condo or Townhome? That is the Question

Guest Blog Post By: Amy Gibbs

I think the most exciting thing about buying your first home is the actual process of looking at homes. I couldn’t wait to see what my choices would be. I was counting down the days … and finally the day arrived!

The first day of looking was devoted to condos and townhomes. As a former apartment dweller, I associated the condo living with the same lifestyle as an apartment. I’ve recently moved from the apartment to a rental house.

In my mind, a townhome falls somewhere in between the two.

Before we get into the nitty-gritty, below is a great chart to compare condo living versus townhome living:

Condo
The first stop was a newer condo in an area with many amenities close by. I wasn’t expecting to like the condo because it seemed like it would be very similar to the apartment I had recently left behind. As I walked in, I was pleasantly surprised! You still share the walls with others, but there were many things that made up for that. There was a lot of open space with great natural light. No dingy dark apartment here! I started going through my mental checklist of pros and cons and here’s what I came up with:

Pros:
Open space
Natural light
Secured building
Parking in the building
No yard work
Pool
Fitness center
Shopping you can walk to

Cons:
People above and below you (unless you’re on the top floor or bottom floor)
People sharing walls
Still didn’t feel like my own space because of the closeness of the neighbors
No “front porch.” Small outdoor space.

No comments: