Thursday, March 3, 2011

Social Networking – Marketing Fundamentals

As you know, I do not have a marketing background but have been actively involved in LinkedIn. I have been asked about my approach to social networking and in essence, it is marketing, branding, and connecting. However, the core principles that guide me in my business pursuit include:

Have strong Beliefs – know where you are going – have goals
Be an Optimist – be a positive role model - appreciate life
Relentless Preparation – answer the unanticipated, sense of calm with practice
Invest in Others – be a mentor - assist others without expecting anything in return.
Live in a State of Gratitude – 86,400 seconds in a day – how will you use this time?
Act rather than react – take action
Reinvent – do what you do and always have done – differently

Let’s take the above statements and apply social networking marketing fundamental to each:

Focus – your social networking and marketing should be focused on your goals and business strengths. Try to avoid going off on tangents which is easy to do while on the internet. Use your expertise to focus your marketing campaign on your expertise. Although, my blog seems to have a wide range of topics, my approach to LinkedIn has become more focused on real estate issues.

Quality – without a question, your social networking content should be relevant to your clients and your goals. I am on Facebook but find LinkedIn to be a forum allowing more valuable professional interaction with potential clients.

Listen – if you watch, listen, and follow group discussions and networkers, your interaction will be based on their needs and not your own promotion. Learn what is important to those you would like to connect with. Read their profile and understand the groups they belong to.

Patience – on LinkedIn, I have had the patience to grow my contact list, strengthen my group participation and direct my group activities. My contact list is nearing 800 and my group “Land Development” is nearing 2,700 members. It has taken awhile to reach this level of interaction but it has already achieved results.

1 comment:

Ronald Tee Johnson said...

You hit on it - give away to receive and above all .... no selling on the networks. 2,700 - Fantastic achievement.