Thursday, March 4, 2010

5-steps to using LinkedIn Effectively

Posted by Jason Donn of eRealEstateSocial.com  http://bit.ly/8X9ep0
Jason outlines several key ways to get the most out of LinkedIn. I have summarized as follows:

1. Complete your Profile – sell yourself. This is the one platform to tell everyone “relevant information about yourself” and a complete profile should include your professional interests and professional goals.
Jason states the most important part of the profile is the headline beneath your name. This is similar to an “elevator speech” or the headline on the front page of a newspaper. This is the perfect opportunity to market – you.

2. Build your Network – As I have mentioned before, social networking is about assisting others succeed and you accomplish this by connecting with other professionals. The best way that I have found to build my network is by joining groups and becoming active in the discussions by offering and not taking.

3. Use your Connections – Connect with your connections and consider your network a sphere of influence. Make an effort to reach out to your SOI periodically. Suggest to your connections to view your network and offer to make introductions to those they want to connect with – assisting others.

4. Management of Your Social Network – the bottom line is to update your profile as your situation changes. Keep current and remember your connections and let them know of recent changes that they find beneficial to them.

5. Join Groups – I have three levels of groups. I started a group “Land Development” and now with over 1,400 members. This is a specialty group that will grow at a constant pace since it now markets itself. This group is a professional networking group with specific interests. If you start a group, you must market and promote the group. 2nd level is to join groups and actively participate in the discussions – a daily objective and make connections with the members. The 3rd level is to join groups that you have interest in and the information/connections may be beneficial to you. I have the group discussions emailed to me so I can quickly read the most recent topics – most of which are not of interest but…. some are on point. I then visit the group and actively participate in the specific discussion.

Using Jason’s post as a base for discussion, I have added my thoughts on LinkedIn. Thus far, I find LinkedIn to be best suited for me. If you should have any questions on the use of LinkedIn, please ask. Please visit my LinkedIn profile and based on what I wrote this morning – I think my profile should be updated!! http://www.LinkedIn.com/in/djohnsonpe

No comments: