Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Social Media Update

LinkedIn - my group "Land Development" has been growing steadily since late January 2009. We just passed 1,000 members and will continue to gain in professional networkers. This group doesn't necessarily compete with other LinkedIn groups but it is industry specific. Members are from around the world.

I posted a discussion on several groups about the "Future of Land Development, Part II" and requests have passed 200. This adds to my ability to network since my professional sphere of influence continues to expand. What does it mean? I am convinced that social networking is an important component of branding yourself, marketing your expertise, and connecting for projects/jobs/leads, etc. I do know one thing - I would have never known nor have been able to contact the members of the Land Development group without a social networking forum.

With the above in mind, I started this Blog. Did you know that the number of blogs doubles every six months? I have now joined Twitter. I am not sure of its value yet but it is worth investigating. I consider social networking forums to be a tool used to promote my business by giving expertise and very rarely taking from someone else. I would expect Twitter may have a professional reason to use it daily. Once I find out, I will report back and let you know. For those on Twitter, please let us know what you think of its value. By the way, www.twitter.com/RealDevelop.
Facebook - not so much.

The next significant project that I will be launching is an eAssociation. The real estate development industry will change on its own and by government regulation. This group will follow industry trends and support the members in their profession of buying, selling, designing, permitting, approving, constructing, and closing land for a profit.

Change is occurring. I would suggest that it is better to act rather than react when change is happening. What are you doing to keep yourself current and active in social media networking?

No comments: