Tuesday, July 5, 2011

What Makes A Good Social Media Communicator?

Guest Post By Genevieve Jooste

Social media communicator. It’s funny to think that that phrase was not in existence a mere handful of years ago. In fact, if someone had approached me at my college graduation and said that I would soon become a social media communicator I would have laughed and looked at her as if she had four heads and 8 pairs of eyes. Wondering what in the world a social media communicator even was, I would have said, nah, that’s not me. I only use Facebook to keep tabs on my friends (ok, fine, the occasional ex-boyfriend) and post pictures.

Today, I’m obviously whistling a different tune and don’t bat an eyelash when someone defines me as a social media communicator. I am exactly that and do not stand alone. Social media communicators today are vast in number and varied in shape and size (not physical, mind you).

With so many different choices and channels, we are at liberty to pick one or several that best suit our schedule and personality. But, with all those choices and channels, things can also become overwhelming very quickly. Without setting some goals and guidelines, your success as a social media communicator can often be short-lived.

So what does a good social media communicator look like? I’m glad you asked.

Start small. Just because everyone is hopping on Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, GetGlue, Flickr, etc (where does it end?!?), does not mean that you have to as well. I cringe every time I hear one social media communicator tell another to join a network because everyone else is doing it. Pick one network, the one that best suits your needs and personality, and start there.

Share often. Help first. Your success as a social media communicator will be largely defined by the company you keep (aka your network of friends, family, coworkers and peers). If you haven’t taken the time to provide help when it is needed or share information to enrich the lives of those within your network, what type of success do you think you are going to achieve? Share resources, blogs and articles you’ve found with others. They’ll appreciate it. I promise. Help others when they need it because I guarantee there will come a time when you will be the one in need of help.

Write to express, not to impress. A wise person told me that when I write something, be it a tweet, blog post or Facebook update, I should not waste valuable time and energy focusing on what everyone else will think. Big words, crazy sentences, boastful statements will only hurt you, not help you. People connect and trust people who are honest and genuine.

Let your personality shine. I see far too many individuals lose themselves on social networks in order to “blend in” or be like one of the “gurus” they follow. Word to the wise, you will never be like Steve Jobs or Gary Vaynerchuck or Seth Godin. You will only be you. So let that personality of yours shine through.

I’ve kept these tips in mind ever since I first became a social media communicator. They have helped me build a network I would be lost without. What tips would you share?

No comments: