Monday, June 14, 2010

Sustainable Land Development Seminar

This past Thursday and Friday, I gave my two day Sustainable Land Development seminar in Minneapolis. It was well received and I will make some adjustments for subsequent seminars. The open discussion seminar format encourages participation from the attendees. Four topics received full participation from the audience:

Land Development Industry Overview – I look back at our industry and the business of land development. I then look forward outlining changes in our industry as the economy rebounds.

Sustainable Land Development – Focus is on the importance of sustainable land development practices and what defines a project sustainable.

Social Networking – We exceeded the time allotment for this session by over 30 minutes! Attendees had limited exposure to social networking sites and the advantages of being active on LinkedIn, etc. I believe this session changed the mindset of some that we must do what we do – differently in 2010 and beyond.

Cluster versus a Standard Single Family Subdivision – This class exercise illustrated the profitability of each land planning approach. From the perspective on how land is used, I concluded by outlining the project financial results for the primary industry stakeholders.

No comments: